Be sure to pick dandelions from a place you know hasn't been sprayed with pesticides!
A delicious vegan alternative to honey, although technically a syrup.
2 cups of dandelion petals
4 cups of water
2 cups of sugar
1 tsp vanilla (or maple syrup)
2 slices of lemon
- separate the yellow petals from the green steps (the green parts will add bitterness) and add to a pan.
- add four cups of water to the dandelion petals and bring to a gentle simmer, then remove from heat.
- allow the mixture to cool, then pour into a clean container with the lemon and vanilla (or maple) and put in the fridge to infuse for 12-24 hours.
- strain the liquid into a pan through a jelly bag or similar and begin to heat again.
- add the sugar and keep simmering until it reaches the desired consistency - the longer you simmer, the thicker it will be (mine is between runny and thick and was simmering for approx 40 mins)
- pour into sterilised jars and enjoy!
Lyra&Atlas and owner Hayleigh Walker hope you enjoy this recipe and any other featured on this blog, but we are not responsible for the outcome of any recipe you try from www.lyraandatlas.com. Always use your best judgement with ingredients & storage and be aware that results can and may vary. Be aware of all heated surfaces and any sharp or dangerous instruments used when crafting these recipes. Any medicinal mention is from my own research, knowledge or personal use and should not be taken as fact. Always do your own research and contact a trained herbalist and/or GP.
Any external links are clicked at the discretion of the reader, I hold no responsibility for them and do not receive anything for providing them.